Cleanse Your Body And Mind With Kapalbhati:
Kapalbhati pranayama is an internal cleansing technique for both body and mind.
‘Kapala’ means skull and ‘Bhati’ means light. The light in this context means perception and knowledge.
The process starts with short, explosive exhales alternating slight longer, passive inhales. The exhales cause contractions in the lower belly, between the pubis and navel, pushing air out of lungs. The inhales release the contractions sucking in air into the lungs.
These contractions and release of lower belly muscles massage the internal organs and help detoxify them.
There are numerous kapalbhati benefits and so it is said to be practised first in the morning.
- Kapalbhati pranayama detoxifies the brain and body.
- With the detoxification, the skin, hair will improve radiantly.
- A cleansing technique that calms your mind and you sense a clutter-free lifestyle.
- Improves blood circulation.
- The practice massages internal organs and improves kidneys and liver functionality.
- Vigorous in and out of air removes stress from the eyes.
- It also improves digestion with massage.
- Increases metabolism and thus good for people who want to lose weight.
- Rejuvenates brain pumping oxygen and energizes the whole body.
- As the abdominal organs are massaged and soothed, any acidity and gas-related problems are resolved.
- It also improves memory and concentration.
Kapalbhati Pranayama Steps:
- Sit in a cross-legged posture with your spine and head comfortably straight, relax your shoulders and close your eyes.
- Keep your palms facing sky resting on your thighs in Gyan mudra.
- Focus on the lower abdomen.
- Inhale; breath in slightly longer and passive filling up the lungs and pushing the abdomen out.
- Exhale; breath out short and explosively at once pulling the lower abdomen in and letting all air out. (Tip: In the beginning, it might be difficult to contract only lower abdomen. You can make a fist with one hand and place the other over it and put it on the lower abdomen to push gently while exhaling to feel the contraction.)
- Steps 4 and 5 are one cycle. Start with 8 – 10 cycles continuously in the beginning. Later, on sufficient practice, increase the pace at 2 inhale-exhale cycles per second.
Start with 25 – 30 cycles slowly at first and gradually increase to 100 or more.
- People suffering from acid-related gastric issues like ulcers, cardiac problems, spinal disorders and hernia should avoid Kapalbhati pranayama.
- Also, women around their pregnancy period must avoid doing kapalbhati pranayama.
- People of age above 40 should do the practice at a slower pace and increase until it is comfortable to do.
Kapalbhati pranayama is an internal cleansing technique. It has numerous benefits such as weight loss, reducing hair fall, skin problems and also other serious issues such as acidity, digestive issues etc.
Finally, don’t forget to keep the focus on the lower abdomen. The contractions and release of lower belly muscles, massage the internal organs thus detoxifying the whole body.