How long do plums last in the fridge?
Plums are a rich source of nutrients and antioxidants, which can help to prevent cancer and heart disease. They are also a good source of fiber and minerals such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc. Well, with all the nutritional information aside, how long do plums last in the fridge? How to store them properly to increase their shelf life without damaging the nutrients, taste, and flavor? This article will tell you about all of it!
Plums are low-acid fruits, making them suitable for people with acid reflux or other gastrointestinal issues. Their fiber content is also high, which makes them an excellent food for people with diabetes because it helps regulate blood sugar levels. The most common way to eat them is by making a plum sauce or poaching them in water for 30 minutes to make a soup or stew.
Storage Methods And Tips For Plums – How to store plums?
Storing plums is not as difficult as you might think. You can store them in a refrigerator or a cool, dark place with the help of some simple methods. If they are still hard and raw, keep them at room temperature for a day or two. The best way to store ripe plums is by placing them in a container with a lid or wrapping them in cling film before placing them in the fridge.
Plums in the fridge
Ever realized that there is something called stone fruits? Stone fruits are those that have a large hard seed right in the center of the fruit. These fruits are usually ripe easily when kept under normal conditions like room temperatures and dry places.
So if you buy stone fruits like peaches, plums, or nectarines that are still a little firm, just leave them at room temperature for a day or two. Do plums need to be refrigerated? Stone fruits, such as peaches, plums, and nectarines, should be refrigerated only once they’re fully ripe.
Fresh And Unripe Plums
Plums are a fruit that is often eaten fresh, but they can also be dried or canned and used for cooking. For plums to be good, they should have a bright color, be firm to the touch, and smell sweet. The best way to tell if a plum is good is by smelling it. If the plum smells sweet then it probably has good quality.
- Plums with no flaws, discoloration, or mushy patches are the best to pick while purchasing. You can ripen plums at home; it’s essential to select plums from a nice batch; it’s okay if they’re still firm.
- In a paper bag, place the unripe plums and allow them to ripen at room temperature for a few days. Placing the plums in a paper bag packs them with ethylene released during the ripening process, causing them to ripen faster.
- Wait until they’re fully ripe before storing them at a colder temperature.
- Check the maturity of the plums by taking a whiff of them. Do they have a deep, aromatic, and fresh scent? When you press your thumb against their sides, do they indent slightly?
- If this is the case, the plums are ripe and ready to consume or store for a longer time using another method.
When plums go bad, they are usually not as sweet as they once were. Sometimes they may even become bitter and sour. This is why it is important to use them before they go bad and find a creative way to use them in the kitchen. Well, there are a few techniques by which you can make your “all set to die” plums live for another extra day in a creative and tastier way!
- Refrigerate plums that are ripe. This will maintain them in good shape and keep them from deteriorating quickly. Place them in an open plastic bag, not one that has been sealed. Keep the plums in the refrigerator for two to four weeks.
- Store plums in old egg cartons to avoid bruising. One plum per egg dip is plenty. Ensure that no heavier product is kept on top of the plums.
- Eat plums as soon as possible after gathering or purchasing them. Although plums may be kept for several weeks, they are best eaten when they are still fresh. It’s best if you can consume them as soon as they’ve ripened.
What to do with plums that are going bad? Here are some ways to see overly ripe plum fruits:
1. Get them through warm water
Rinse them with warm water to remove all the soft spots and use them.
2. Make a sweet sorbet
Peel off the skin and blend it well with a little sugar syrup or sugar and freeze it.
3. Take it as a reason to make a pie
Make your favorite pie and add these overly ripe plums to it for a tinge of extra fruity flavor.
4. Blend them with other fruit ingredients into a smoothie
Add these plums to a smoothie jar, add some more fruits of your choice, blend it and indulge!
5. Make compotes or jams
Any overly riped fruit is full of sweetness and flavor. Plums are not an exception to this. You can make compotes, jams, sauces, etc and keep them for later use.
Remember to draw a line between “going bad” and “bad” plums and then act accordingly to avoid any foodborne illness or side effects.
Stewed plum fruits
Stewed plums are a great snack to have on hand at all times. But how long do stewed plums last in the fridge? They are also perfect for your next potluck or picnic. The average lifespan of stewed plums is about two days, but they can last up to 3-4 days if kept in the fridge.
What happens if you eat a bad plum? Plum is a fruit that is low in calories and high in fiber. It is a good source of vitamin C and potassium, which are beneficial for cardiovascular health. However, if you eat a bad plum, you may experience diarrhea or nausea, and vomiting. Remember that the symptoms vary from person to person.