How To Cut A T-Shirt Into A Tank Top
A tank top is one that is sleeveless or when the sleeves are cut off a T-shirt. Depending on the way the person wants to wear it or style it, they can be worn as undershirts, by athletes during sports, or just as a part of casual wear. Again there are two kinds of tank tops namely, basic tank tops and racerback tank tops. Many people wonder how to cut a tshirt into a tank top, if you are one of them keep reading. Reusing clothes that you have added to trash is always a great idea. So here you will find out how to convert T-shirts into tank tops. Also, check out more t shirt cutting techniques.
Here Are Some Advantages Of Tank Tops
- Women love to use tank tops because of the material and fabric. Cotton material tops are the best because of the comfort and softness it provides. One is also saved from rashes and allergies.
- Tank tops fit really well on the body. This helps women to do their Yoga practices and work out well by concealing unnecessary information about one’s body.
Here’s How To Cut A T-Shirt Into A Tank Top
- Step 1: you will need a tank top to be used as a template. For this, the template should be of the correct size. Even if you do not have a tank top, there is nothing to worry about. You can still make one.
- Step 2: Next you will need to choose a T-shirt that you won’t mind cutting. If you do not want to make a tank top that is too tight, you can use a loose T-shirt as well. If you are using a new T-shirt make sure you have washed it once and dried it well. The reason being after washing the fabric is tend to shrink.
- Step 3: So now you will have to iron both the clothes you will be using. Ironing is a good option since it makes the fabric smooth and will make your work easier.
- Step 4: Now, place the tank top you have on the T-shirt and align the shoulders. Aligning the shoulders of the T-shirt and the tank top is crucial here.
- Step 5: To avoid the movement of the T-shirt, you should pin it. Use straight pins along the edges of the tank top. Make sure that it pierces through both the shirts making your work easier when cutting.
- Step 6: for the cutting part, the tank top’s armholes and neckline should be used as a guide. In case you need a finished hem, it is advised to leave approximately ½-inch (1.27 centimeters) seam. This finished hem is just so the tank top looks prettier. It is not mandatory for a finished hem when using a T-shirt since the fabric does not fray. Now, for those who do not have a tank top to use as a guide, they can cut the sleeves and collar of the T-shirt. Also, before cutting do not forget to fold the shirt in half so that it is even.
- Step 7: You can now unpin the tank top and put it away. You need to check that the T-shirt is inside out throughout.
- Step 8: You can also cut the front neckline and armholes wider if you want. Keep in mind not to trim too much and leave a ½-inch seam allowance.
- Step 9: After folding the cut edges, pin them in the proper place and iron them properly. The edges are to be folded ½ an inch. It is important to note that you will have to fold it towards the outside and not the inside.
In case you want the edges to be unhemmed and remain raw, skip this step. This is because T-shirts are made up of fabric that does not fray.
- Step 10: It is now time to stitch the folded edges using ½ an inch seam allowance. You can use your hand or a sewing machine for this. When using a sewing machine, remember to use a kind of stitch that is used for knitting fabrics. When done with sewing, it is time to tie the ends of the threads into tight knots and snip the excess tail.
- Step 11: now, you need to remove the pin. It’s time to turn it right side out and give a trial. So, if you find it a bit loose that means the T-shirt was not a tight one or you did not trim the sides.
Now you can enjoy wearing your handmade Tank Top!
It is very obvious to us all that T-shirts are one of the most important and must-have clothing in our wardrobe. But as time passes by, they can get old and fade but throwing them away might be a mistake because you can convert and reuse them as a tank top.