Different Ways To Tie Dye
If we have to discuss one of the biggest Fashion trends of 2020, then it has to be Tie- Dye. This trend which was popular in the US back in the 1960s as a part of the ‘Hippie’ and Psychedelic Cult, has made a fierce comeback. Celebrities, Fashion Houses, Influencers — it has been an absolute favorite of many. And due to the Pandemic and the subsequent Lockdown, it has become all the more popular among the Masses given how easily it can be DIY-ed.
In this blog, we will be not just giving more insights into this major Fashion Trend but also give you a very easy tutorial on how to DIY this technique at your home
Tie Dye Techniques
With the rising popularity of Tie-Dying, there are several methods and techniques to it, resulting in some beautiful styles in themselves. What also owes to this experimentation is how easily all of these styles can be done by anybody.
The following are some popular techniques used in Tie-Dye
- Bull’s Eye Tie-Technique
- Spiral Tie-Dye Technique
- Shibori Technique ( A Japanese Form of Tie-Dye)
- Ombre Tie-Dye Technique
- Crumpled Tie-Dye Technique
- Striped Tie-Dye Technique
- Sunburst Technique and many more.
How To TIE-DYE At Home ( DIY TIE-DYE)
In this blog, we will be listing out the steps of one of the most popular techniques of Tie-Dye, so that you can easily DIY and wear it off to streets embracing your new mask look!
Here’s how you can do it:
1. Bull’s Eye Technique
- Take a plain colored T-shirt (preferably a white T-shirt). Make sure it’s damp and natural fiber fabric and lay it on a table.
- For the Bull’s Eye Technique, choose the part of the fabric which would act as the center of the bull’s eye.
- Now pinch and pull the chosen part of the fabric (which would be the center of the bull’s eye) upwards and secure the other end of the fabric with our other hand.
- Now tie a rubber band approximately 1-2 inches from our chosen center. Then tie rubber bands after every 1-2 inch of the fabric and continue doing it till the end. It should essentially look like a long tube.
- Now take your chosen dye colors and squirt them well in the chosen areas, for the desired look.
2. Spiral Or Swirl Technique
- Take the fabric and lay it flat on the table.
- Now we pinch the center of the fabric and start twisting the fabric into a circular motion.
- Continue this until all of the fabric is gathered and looks like a wedge-shaped ball.
- Secure the spiral with three rubber ties to sustain the wedge effect.
- Now add desired dyes onto the fabric.
- Flip the fabric and repeat the process of squirting the dye into the fabric.
3. Shibori Tie-Dye Technique
- For the Shibori Technique, lay the fabric on the table, and make accordion folds onto the fabric, from the bottom edge to the top part of the fabric in even folds.
- Now again fold the fabric( again into accordion folds) from one end to the other, till the fabric turns into a lump of folds.
- Take three rubber ties and wrap it around the fabric in criss-cross directions, tightly securing the folds in a criss-cross direction.
- Now squirt the desired colors into the fabric on both ends and let it dry for the prints to be bold and visible.
4. Ombre Tie-Dye Technique
- Lay the fabric on the table and make sure it’s damp enough.
- Squirt the desired color from the top end of the fabric.
- Now take a large wet brush and using downward strokes to blend the color downwards to create a blend and a color saturation. Use color and water are accordingly used in getting the proper blend
- Once the desired blend for the first the color is done, now the same steps are repeated for the other chosen colors.
- Once the fabric has been dyed, hang the fabric and let it dry for the colors and patterns to be bright enough
5. Crumpled Tie- Dye Technique
- Take the damp fabric into the workspace and scrunch the fabric to a crumpled mound. Keep the crumples loose or tight according to the style preferred. Tight crumples will give a more defined and crisp look.
- Now secure the crumples of the mound with rubber ties and squirt dye all over the fabric.
- Keep the fabric inside a plastic or a bag for the fabric to remain damp while the dye dries.
- The Crumpled Tie-Dye Fabric is ready to be used.
6. Striped Tie-Dye Technique
- Lay the damp fabric and make pleats of the fabric in horizontal or vertical lines, as per the stripes desired.
- Now one the fabric is pleated, secure the pleats of the fabric. Add as many rubber bands and space them as desired.
- Once this is done, squirt the chosen colors and let the fabric dry for 6-8 hours.
- Voila, DIY Striped Tie-dye Fabric is ready.
7. Sunburst Tie-Dye Technique
- Lay the Damp cloth on the table and pinch a small portion of the cloth upwards to 1-2inch respectively.
- Now secure a rubber band tightly around the pinched part of the cloth. This is the sunburst.
- Repeat the above steps for as many sunbursts as desired.
- Now squirt the chosen dyes into the sunbursts.
- Fill the other chosen dye into the remaining part of the fabric.
- Let it dry for 6-8 hours till the prints are bold and bright
Important Tips To Tie Dye
While Tie-Dye is definitely one of the simplest techniques to do at our homes, one should, however, keep certain tips in mind to ensure their entire endeavor with this process results in a success and not in disappointment.
So while doing Tie-Dye at home, make sure you keep the following tips in mind your mind to get the best bold prints –
- Make sure your Fabric is Pre-Washed. Pre-Washing the Fabric will ensure the apparel is of the right fit, as sometimes fabric shrinks and also removes any possible dirt so that the dye saturates better.
- Also, it is important to ensure the fabric when you are going to Tie-Dye should be Damp, but not wet. You would want the color to penetrate and saturate well, but not drip.
- Make sure you secure the ties of the cloth tightly. This ensures the color penetrates and saturates better and you get the desired style and pattern.
- For Tie-Dye to be a success it is important to Squirt the color well into the folds and Squeeze the folds of fabric to ensure the color penetrates well inside the cloth. Make sure you Use Powdered Color and mix it with water in Squirt Bottles to get the perfect bold prints.
- Lastly, after the dye has been squirted, keep the fabric inside a plastic packet or bag to ensure that while the dye is drying the cloth remains damp. This will ensure big and bold prints
Are you ready to make yourself an entirely new and stylish outfit, that too, at home? We hear a big YES!