Home Remedies For Itchy Scalp And Dandruff:
It can be very embarrassing when you are in the company of your friends or bosses, and then your scalp starts itching, especially if your hand goes unconsciously to ‘scratch the itch’. This can mean trouble! An itchy scalp makes it very uncomfortable to go out and continue your life normally. An itchy scalp can worsen more during the summers, due to sweat. Sweating constantly will irritate the already itchy scalp and make the condition worse. Taking regular care of hair is a must. It is important to be careful with certain habits such as smoking. Smoking effects on skin and hair not very easily reversible. Check out the complete dos and don’ts with your hair in these hair care tips from oiling, shampooing, to conditioning for daily care. Also, henna is proven to be successful for all hair problems, henna for hair packs. Now, let’s get into itchy scalp and dandruff home remedies.
Itchy Scalp And Dandruff Causes:
Itchy scalp Causes:
- Sensitive scalp
- Extreme summers and winters
- Dry scalp
- Improperly removed scalp cosmetics like gels, waxes & fixers.
- Previous injury
- Hormonal changes
- Dandruff/ seborrheic eczema
- Sun rash
Ignoring Itchy Scalp May Result In:
- Scalp sores
- Hair fall
- Skin cancer
How do you soothe an itchy scalp?
The best thing to do for itchy scalp is to nip the itchiness in the bud and take care of the problem before it takes root and spreads. By taking proper care of your scalp and hair, one can prevent more damage from happening.
But how do you soothe an itchy scalp? The good news is that you can do it with these simple things:
- Avoid excess spicy food as it causes the glands to open and can even make your head sweat, which will further increase the itching in summer.
- Don’t scratch because it will only worsen the problem. Try using soothing gels, which contain aloe vera for dandruff, to soothe the itch. You can also rinse your hair with white vinegar after shampooing your hair.
- Use an anti-dandruff shampoo that has a cooling and healing effect on your scalp such as menthol and zinc oxide that not only soothes the scalp but also prevents itching and heals the scalps.
- Moisturize your hair by using products like gels and serums, which will cool the scalp and keep it moisturized even during the heat.
- Use sun protection products to prevent any sun damage to your scalp and hair. The best preventative measure is to invest in UV protection sprays that protect the hair and don’t leave it feeling limp, greasy or oily.
- Wear a hat or scarf before stepping out as this prevents the sun’s rays from directly reaching the scalp.
- Shampoo every second day if your scalp is too oily, to prevent oil and sweat build-up.
If itching persists and increases with time, then consult your dermatologist immediately.
What Causes Dandruff?
It is associated with increased oil production and yeast. Dandruff is not contagious and does not spread on touch.
Everybody experiences dandruff at some point in their life irrespective of their ethnicity, age, and gender. Anyone who has ever experienced dandruff knows how irritating and embarrassing the itchy and flakey scalp can be. Tiny white flakes on your shoulders, especially when you are wearing dark colors, are never fun. Moreover, it does not stop at just the scalp; dandruff can even spread to our ears, eyebrows, eyelashes, chest, and beard. These are dandruff causes you should be away from.
- Oily skin
- Oily scalp
- Poor hygiene
- Hot and humid or cold and dry weather
- Infrequent and improper shampooing
- Poor immune system
- Chronic illness
- Lack of sunlight
Dandruff Preventive Tips:
- Maintain proper hygiene at all times
- Use the right shampoo for your hair type
- Include probiotics in your diet
- Shampoo at least twice a week
- Get some sun regularly
- Learn to manage stress effectively
- Consult a dermatologist if the problem escalates or does not go away with normal remedies
Keep dandruff at bay with these preventive tips!
Home Remedies For Dandruff:
Luckily, for us, there are plenty of options available (both natural and medicinal) that can help you fight the flakes easily. Dandruff can be seasonal, or you can have a condition of the perennial flaky scalp. Use the following home remedies for dandruff and get rid of dandruff problems. These itchy scalp and dandruff home remedies will keep you up with daily maintenance.
However, if you’re suffering from excess dandruff, try out some chemical-free products to initially control dandruff. Else, the following home remedies are more than enough to keep your scalp healthy and dandruff free.
Make a paste out of fresh neem leaves, apply on the scalp as a mask, leave it on for about 30 minutes, and then rinse your hair. The second way is to boil some neem leaves along with coconut oil, strain and cool the mix and apply on the scalp regularly before shampooing your hair.
Grate and squeeze onion and apply the juice on the scalp. Leave it on for 30 minutes and then wash your hair. Onion juice helps in reducing hair fall too.
Tea Tree Oil For Dandruff:
Add a few drops of tea tree oil to your regular shampoo, and you will see the effects almost immediately.
Baking soda For Itchy Scalp:
Apply some baking soda on the scalp and rinse. No need to shampoo. Your hair will be dry for a few washes, but after that, the scalp will be dandruff free and your hair will be soft and shiny
Apple Cider Vinegar:
Mix apple cider vinegar with water and spritz it on your scalp before using shampoo.
Two tablespoons of lemon juice and rub it on your scalp, leave it on for 15 minutes and wash with a mild shampoo.
Curd For Dandruff:
Apply curd on your hair like a mask and leave it on for one hour. Wash with a mild shampoo.
Over-the-counter prescription dandruff shampoos:
Prescribed by your doctor can also help you solve this condition.
- Pyrithoione zinc shampoos: These are anti-fungal and antibacterial.
- Tar-based shampoos: Not suitable for light-colored hair.
- Salicylic acid shampoos: These tend to leave the hair dry, and you will need to use a conditioner after every use.
- Ketoconazole shampoos: They are broad-spectrum and work very well for dandruff.
Treat skin inflammation by using hydrocortisone 1% for two to four weeks.
For Face and Ear dandruff:
Wash the areas with dandruff shampoo regularly and avoid heavily oiled hair. To treat eyelid dandruff, by applying baby shampoo daily
Baby dandruff can be treated by frequently washing with baby shampoo. For a large number of flakes, use a toothbrush dipped in olive oil and gently massage it onto the baby’s scalp.
For dandruff which does not settle with home remedies, visit a dermatologist who can advise with what will work best for your hair.