How To Make Jowar Roti And Some Tips
Jowar is considered one of the best for weight loss and a wholesome alternative for wheat roti or rice. The list of nutrients in jowar includes protein, dietary fiber, calcium, iron, phosphorus, B vitamins, and C. Jowar Roti is one of the easiest jowar recipes to try for inculcating jowar benefits into our day to day diet. Check out some more basic jowar millet recipes and not just jowar there are other millets with numerous health benefits. Check the benefits of millets and recipes for different types of millets.
Roti is a type of flatbread that originated in the Indian subcontinent. Typically a roti is made with wheat flour. Roti made with jowar flour is relatively healthy when compared to a roti made with wheat flour. It can substitute the traditional wheat roti for those who are gluten intolerant. Jowar roti in Telugu is Jonna rotti, jowar roti in Kannada is Jolada rotti and jowar roti in Hindi is Jowar Bhakri or a simple Bhakri.
Jowar Roti calories per roti are around 50. Of which 41 are carbohydrates. The remaining calories account for protein and fat.
Jowar Roti Benefits
Here are the benefits of eating jowar roti:
- Jowar is a wholesome grain that digests slowly. Consuming jowar roti can help you eat less and stay full for a long time.
- It is also good for diabetes, as it has a low glycemic index and helps regulate insulin levels, this meal can be a great option for diabetic patients.
- Jowar can be the replacement for regular rice or wheat if you are looking forward to a healthy and fit lifestyle. Jowar roti can work great for weight loss.
- If it comes to the question of jowar roti vs wheat roti, the former is definitely better due to its high dietary fiber which is responsible for regulating hormonal and heart health.
How To Make Jowar Roti | Jolada Rotti Recipe
Jolada Rotti is easy to make when made by following the right procedure of making it. There are different methods with slight variations to make perfect jolada rotti. These methods can help you make jowar rotis without breaking and keep them soft for a long time.
Let us check out the methods to perfect jowar roti.
Method – 1: Super Soft Jolada Rotti / Jowar Roti
Use this method of making jolada rotti to keep them super soft for a long time.
- Take a thick bottomed pan. Heat around ¾ cup water and bring it to a boil.
- Switch off the stove and immediately add 1 cup of jowar flour to it.
- Mix it well and cover it with a lid for about 10 minutes.
- Now take a wide plate and put the mixture of flour and water into it. Knead it for 15 minutes while it is warm.
- Take another wide plate and place it upside down on your kitchen platform.
- Take a white cloth, dip it fully in water, squeeze out the excess water, and spread it evenly onto the plate.
- Make lemon-sized balls of the dough, place it on the cloth and roll it into a flat bread using your hands.
- Heat a Tawa, safely remove the roti from the cloth and fry it on both sides. Serve hot with curry.
Method – 2: Jowar Roti Using A Rolling Pin
This is a method that shows how to make jowar roti using a rolling pin. Let us check out the procedure.
- Take a bowl. Add 1 cup jowar flour and a pinch of salt into the bowl.
- Boil 1 cup water and add it into the bowl.
- Mix and knead the dough for around 15 mins.
- Take a lemon sized portion of the dough, dust it with jowar flour and roll it into a roti using a rolling pin.
- Heat a tawa and place the roti on it.
- Wait for 20 seconds and spread a few drops of water on the roti.
- Wait for 10 more seconds and flip it to the other side and fry it evenly.
- Remove and serve hot.
Method – 3: Make Soft Jowar Rotis Without Breaking
This method is an easy and simple way to make jowar roti. Use this procedure to make soft jowar rotis without breaking.
- Take 1 cup jowar flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl.
- Add around 2 cups of water (room temperature) into it and mix it well. Now a thin batter is ready.
- Heat a nonstick tawa. Pour the batter as you do it for rava dosa or neer dosa.
- Simmer the stove and cover it with a lid. Cook it for about 20 seconds and flip it to the other side.
- Cook it well on both sides and serve hot.
Tips To Keep In Mind:
- Jowar or sorghum is naturally gluten-free. Make sure you knead the dough for 15 minutes to keep it tight or else the rotis keeps breaking while you try to make them.
- Make sure you wait for 10 seconds after sprinkling the water and only then flip it. Or else the roti might stick to the Tawa.
- Make sure to dust the dough ball with enough jowar flour to avoid breakage.
- Cover the dough with a wet cloth to keep the dough soft.
- Keep the fried Rotis in a vessel and cover to keep the rotis soft and moist.
Jowar or sorghum is a grain that is important to consume on a daily basis due to its high fiber content and energy. Jowar roti or jonna rotte is one of the easiest recipes to include jowar or sorghum in our day-to-day diet. Try these methods to make soft and perfect jolada rotti. Hope you find the above-mentioned tips useful.