Pre Poo: Benefits, How To do it, and DIYs
There are various reasons for hair damage like heat exposure, doing chemical treatments, coloring the hair, and using poor grooming techniques. These can cause the hair to get dry, damaged, or brittle. That is when even shampooing or conditioning and using serum is not enough. But the introduction of pre-poo can be beneficial. Pre-poo is also known as doing pre-shampoo. Check out more haircare tips.
Why is pre-poo so important?
Shampooing and conditioning can be hard work depending on the length of one’s hair and the texture. Thus, the addition of this concept called pre-poo can seem tiring but is worth every effort.
In simple terms, we can say that pre-shampoo is a way of applying some kind of treatment to the hair before the actual process of shampooing begins. This treatment helps your hair by acting like a protective layer. You will need a protective layer because when you shampoo your hair it can remove the moisture from your hair. Thus, using a conditioner might not always rehydrate your hair.
People with curly hair or kinky hair are always advised to use this method because of the hair texture. But that doesn’t mean people with other hair textures cannot use the process of pre-shampooing. This will help one’s hair to restore the healthy hair which might have turned dry, damaged, or frizzy.
Benefits Of Pre-Poo Treatments
- It moisturizes the hair: It is the treatment called pre-pooing that provides the needed moisture to curly and dry hair. When using nourishing oils, you can restore the lost moisture balance, providing nourishment and keeping it healthy.
- Conditions your hair: If you pre-poo, it helps your hair from drying up during washing your hair with shampoo or using conditioners after shampooing.
- Detangles the hair: It is quite difficult to detangle curly hair. Pre-pooing moisturizes the hair so that it does not get tangled during shampooing and it is easy to detangle it after washing.
- Nourishes the scalp: This kind of treatment includes the usage of warm oil massages which helps in blood circulation in the scalp, nourishes the scalp, and strengthens the hair health for the future.
What is the right procedure for pre-poo?
Pre shampooing is an easy and simple way that does not take much time. Since it is a treatment done before shampooing and conditioning, you will need dry hair. This will help the mixture to coat the strands and lock in the moisture of the hair before washing.
1. Divide and conquer
To make this process easier you need to divide the hair into sections. Divide the hair into 6 to 8 sections depending on the thickness and the length of the hair. This will help in applying the mixture evenly to every strand of hair. Apply it from the roots to the ends for better results.
2. Detangle the tangles
After you have applied the product to each and every section, take a wide-tooth comb. Now slowly try to detangle each section of hair.
3. Soak it in
Leave the pre-poo product on the hair for at least 30 minutes before shampooing. It is fine to keep it for a longer period for better results. The longer the product is kept on the hair strands the softer and shinier the hair will be after washing.
4. Wash, condition, and rinse thoroughly
After you have finished the pre poo (pre shampoo) process it’s time to wash and condition the hair properly. You should make sure that you have washed the hair properly so that there is no product sticking to the hair strands.
DIYs for pre-poo recipes
It is quite easy to prepare DIYs for pre-pooing. You can make it using the ingredients available in your kitchen. You can make your pre-poo using ingredients in your kitchen.
Here are the three recipes that can work wonders for you:
1. Banana pre-poo
Potassium can help in stopping hair loss and bananas are rich in potassium. It also contains natural oils that can soften and moisturize hair strands. This recipe can stop the hair from becoming frizzy, repair the split ends and protect from other hair damages.
Instructions to be followed:
- Firstly, mash and blend one ripe banana
- Mix the mashed banana with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Mix them well and apply this mixture by dividing the sections of hair.
- Let the mixture sit on your hair for at least 30 minutes before washing it with shampoo and going for conditioning
- Use treatment at least two to three times a week
2. Egg pre-poo
Eggs are rich in protein and therefore this recipe is a good protein treatment to provide strength to the weak and damaged hair strands. It is the protein that helps in strengthening and repairing the hair.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Firstly, you need to beat 1 to 3 eggs. The number of eggs you will use depends on your hair length and the amount of pre poo (pre shampoo) you want to apply
- Now mix the eggs with one tablespoon of honey and 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Now start sectioning your hair and distribute the mixture evenly on your hair strands
- Let the pre-poo sit on the hair for at least 30 minutes before you wash and shampoo it
- Introduce this treatment to your hair care routine at least once a week
3. Avocado And Jojoba Oil Hair Mask
Avocados are not only helpful for health but also can be used as a base in hair masks. The wax esters in jojoba oil are observed to be helpful for a healthy scalp.
For this you will need:
- 1 mashed small and ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons of jojoba oil
Method to be followed:
- Mix the mashed avocado and jojoba oil
- Next, apply the mixture to your hair and try to cover each strand
- Let it be like that for almost 30 minutes
- Now wash the hair mask and use a gentle shampoo
It is a good hair care routine that can help your hair grow well and protect it from damage. The steps involved are pre-pooing, shampooing and conditioning. Avoiding any of these can affect the beauty and health of the hair. If you are trying to repair your dry hair, over-processed hair, frizzy and broken hair, introduce pre poo (pre shampoo) in your health care routine to get stronger and software hair.
Can you pre-poo on dirty hair?
The decision to use a pre-poo on dirty tresses solely depends on the hair care product you’re using. Some options may require you to rinse your hair first before applying them. You may even find alternatives, such as pre-poo oil, that can be used on dry or damp hair.
Do you wash your hair before pre poo?
As a general rule of thumb, leave the pre-poo product on your hair for at least 30 minutes before shampooing. Of course, the longer you pre-poo, the better. If you prefer, pre-poo earlier in the day, and wash your hair several hours later. Or, do an overnight pre-poo.
Can I pre poo with a conditioner?
Using conditioner after shampooing is routine, but did you know you can use your regular conditioner as a pre-poo as well? Either apply it alone on dry hair or mix it with any of the oils listed here; you have plenty of other options, too, such as grapeseed, jojoba, and neem.
Is pre-poo good for low porosity hair?
Lower porosity hair needs all the moisture it can get. It doesn’t matter if it’s via a pre-shampoo regimen or post-shampoo deep conditioning. Any moisturizing routine is welcome.
Is pre poo good for natural hair?
Curls and waves are always in need of moisture – and a prepoo treatment is sure to give us added, extra moisture when applied. Seasonal stress on hair such as heat, humidity, wind, salt water, etc, can leave curls extra dry. Adding a prepoo treatment to hair helps to restore lost moisture.
Is pre-poo the same as deep conditioning?
A pre-poo, which is short for pre-shampoo treatment, is quite similar to the traditional hot oil treatment many of our mother’s used for deep conditioning treatments that were applied prior to washing the hair. … A pre-poo can be a pure oil, blended oil, a conditioner, or even a conditioner plus oil cocktail.