What Are The Benefits Of Eating Seasonal Foods
Health experts often say that you should eat seasonally or include foods in your diet grown at the same season of the year. Eating seasonally offers you a lot of health benefits. It may appear simple because you eat grown and harvested foods at the time of year when they are full in flavor. However, there is more to it, and here we explain how you can reap the complete benefits of eating seasonally with a seasonal food list. In case, you are looking for some greens, here are Indian leafy vegetables.
What Are Seasonal Foods?
Foods produced at certain times of the year when they are ready to harvest and are high in flavor. These foods are called seasonal as they grow well and are perfect for eating in the respective seasons. The seasonality of these foods can either be the Seasonality of global or local. Globally seasonal foods are naturally produced and consumed anywhere in the world. Locally seasonal are produced and consumed only in specific climatic zones.
Benefits Of Eating Seasonal Foods
- Seasonal foods are freshly produced. Therefore, it tastes good and always fresh.
- Seasonal foods can also enhance the taste of recipes because of their rich flavor and taste.
- In season you buy foods at the peak of their supply, and hence you can save money in your grocery store.
- Freshly produced seasonal foods retain their phytonutrients, pigments, and anti-oxidants, providing nutrition at its best.
- Seasonal foods will be low in pesticides and other contaminants as the production is fresh and easy to grow.
- Seasonal foods can be bought in good quantity and stored for later use to prevent any contamination.
- Seasonal fruits are equipped with their own benefits that nature has provided; for instance, winter provides comfort foods to keep us warm. It also provides Vitamin-C-rich foods to prevent colds and infections; summer provides foods to prevent damage from heat.
- Seasonal foods support and encourage local farming that reduces environmental damage and supports local farmers.
Seasonal Food List
Seasonal Foods Examples
Few Of The Seasonal Foods And Its Benefits
Melons In Summer
During the summer season, we often sweat up due to heat, and it may cause dehydration. Hence, restoring fluid balance in the body is very important. Here melons can come to your rescue as melons are the best-to-eat foods in summer; watermelon is available in summer to quench your thirst as it contains 92 percent of water. Eating watermelon regularly in summer will keep you well hydrated. Watermelon fills you up as it is rich in fiber too; hence eat watermelon before you step out to prevent sun damage. Apart from being rich in Vitamin A and C, watermelon is also rich in minerals, boosting your electrolyte balance.
Pumpkins In Monsoon
Monsoon means rainy season, the weather is cold and wet, and special care should be taken in eating foods. Monsoon brings the risk of viral and bacterial infections that can make you sick. So, you need to prefer to eat home foods, and they should be freshly consumed. Pumpkins are rich in vitamin A and fiber, which can be a nutritious food to eat during monsoons as they provide satiety, Vitamin C in pumpkins can help ward off colds and coughs during monsoons.
Oranges In Winter
Although the weather is quite pleasant in winter, it also affects our metabolism and immunity as winter brings many infections. Hence eating a variety of fresh winter vegetables and fruits build strength and provide immunity.
Oranges are rich in Vitamin C and are low in calories; Oranges in winter can be comfort food as they provide satiety with their fiber. Oranges are loaded with flavonoids which can fight inflammations and infections in winter. Being rich in collagen also makes it a healthy food for the skin and can help us get rid of dry skin in winter.
Tomatoes In Autumn
Diet in the autumn season should be lighter, slightly bitter, and sweet as the autumn season brings different mood swings. Tomatoes are full of energy and loaded with anti-oxidants; they improve digestion and help prevent many diseases such as cancers and heart diseases. They also improve eye and skin health.
Spring Onions In Spring
Eating easily digestible foods during spring can help in keeping the body healthy and fit.
Spring onions are a good source of Vitamin-C, chromium, and dietary fiber. They are easy on the stomach and can help in deworming in kids.
They can be an excellent medicine to fight flu and reduce excess mucus due to their antibacterial and antifungal properties. Since they are rich in carotenoids, club these with cucumbers and carrots to get enough vitamin A for your eyes. They also taste great when consumed in the form of salads.
- Eating only seasonal foods may not be possible every time; however, making sure to include them whenever possible is a boon to your health.
- Freezing seasonal foods is a good idea to include them any time of the year by adding them to soups or smoothies.
Foods produced at certain times of the year when they are ready to harvest and are high in flavor are called seasonal foods as they grow well and are perfect for eating in the respective seasons.