Types Of Tomato Plants
Check out the different kinds of tomato plants, such as Losetto is a bush type (determinate) of tomato which was introduced to the market by T & M in 2011. Basically it can be left to its own devices to grow with only minimal pruning to encourage airflow into the middle of the plant. Also find more in more in plant care guide.
Tomatoes come in different sizes, shapes, and water content, which can help determine what kind to grow and how to use them. Here are some of the most common types:
- Beefsteak tomato: Among the largest fruits, beefsteaks have a juicy, meaty texture and classic flavor. Round, slightly flattened fruits are superior slicers for sandwiches, salads, and caprese.
- Campari tomato: Also known as tomatoes on the vine. Golf-ball-sized fruits have low acidity, exceptionally sweet flavor, and juicy texture. Good for snacking, salads, salsa, roasting, and bruschetta.
- Pear tomato: Small pear-shaped fruits have a sweet mild flavor and juicy texture. Plants are heavy producers over a long time. Good for snacking, salads, and preserves.
- Plum tomato: Popular plum tomatoes are Roma and San Marzano. The water content is low and texture is firm, making these a good choice for tomato sauce, paste, roasting, drying, and canning. Fruits are mellow tasting, medium sized, and oval shaped.
- Salad tomato: Rounded fruits, 2-3 inches in diameter, are perfect for slicing on sandwiches or chopped in salads. Somewhat tart and juicy, these have a good balance of acid and sweet.
- Grape tomato: Similar to plum tomatoes but smaller, the oval-shaped fruits grow in clusters similar to cherry types but have a thicker, meatier texture, and milder flavor. Good for snacking, salads, kebabs, and roasting.
- Cherry tomato: Bite-sized rounded fruits that grow in clusters are juicy and sweet tasting. Good for snacking, salads, kebabs, roasting, and quick sauces.
What are the 2 types of tomato plants?
Tomato plants generally fall into two categories: determinate and indeterminate. Determinate (bush) tomato plants are bred to stop growing usually somewhere around 3′-4′ feet tall.
Which variety of tomato is best?
The Best Tomato Varieties
- ‘New Girl’ is an ‘Early Girl’ with upgrades.
- ‘Brandywine’ tomatoes come in all sorts of hues.
- ‘Green Zebra’ is another favorite.
- ‘Amish Paste’ is a fabulous cooking tomato.
- ‘Black Krim’ is an all-around wonderful eating tomato — roast or eat fresh.
- ‘Celebrity’ is an all-around winner.
How can you tell what type of tomato plant you have?
Determinate tomatoes commonly have leaves that are closer together on the stem, making them look bushier. Indeterminate varieties have leaves that are spaced out more and look more like vines. Check the flowers and fruit production.
What is the most popular tomato plant?
Globe tomatoes are large, round, and red – sometimes yellow – and they’re the most common tomatoes. They are the medium-sized tomatoes that you find in any store. Also called slicing tomatoes, these are the best option for sandwiches and salads.
What is the easiest tomato plant to grow?
Cherry Tomatoes Cherry Tomatoes are the easiest tomatoes for beginners to grow. They produce crop after crop and have very few problems!
Which tomato plant produces the most tomatoes?
Two paste varieties – “Jersey Devil” and “Russian Big Roma” – count themselves among the most prolific of plants producing plum-shaped tomatoes. Of the popular bite-sized cherry tomato varieties, “Blondkopfchen,” “Grape Tomato,” “Ildi,” “Juane Flamme” and “Sun Gold” plants are among the most prolific.
Which tomato is sweetest?
Rosada tomatoes are of the baby plum variety and are by far the sweetest tomato variety you can grow. With a Brix rating of 10.5, they are absolutely delectable.
Which type of tomato is the healthiest?
Botanist James Wong has revealed that baby plum tomatoes are the healthiest variety of tomatoes as they contain the most phytonutrients. Beefsteak tomatoes do not contain as many nutrients as baby plum tomatoes, according to James Wong.
What is a new girl tomato?
Developed from ‘Early Girl’, this disease-resistant tomato produces medium-sized fruit with exceptional flavor. Perfect for cool Summer areas – like here! It is indeterminate, so provide a cage or enough space for it to sprawl.
Can you identify tomato varieties by their leaves?
Remember that tomato leaves have a saw-like or jagged edge that surrounds the entire leaf. Look for compound leaves, another characteristic of tomato plants. Compound leaves have multiple leaflets originating from a common stalk. Examine the leaves and notice whether there’s a fuzzy feeling when you touch them.
Do different types of tomatoes have different leaves?
Are there different types of tomato leaves? Yes, there are two leaf types, Regular (RL) & Potato Leaf (PL) and there are also leaf variations for both types, (Rugose-a darker green rough-surfaced leaf, or Angora–a fuzzy, hairy type regular leaf.)
How can you tell the difference between cherry tomatoes and regular tomatoes?
Small, round fruits are cherry tomatoes, which are excellent for snacking or halving into salads. Small fruits with a more oblong shape are grape tomatoes, which stand up well to cooking. A larger tomato with an oblong shape is the Roma tomato, which isn’t very juicy and is best eaten raw or lightly cooked.
How do you pick the best tomato plants?
Examine plants carefully before purchasing. Look for healthy, green plants with four to six leaves and sturdy, straight stems. Check leaves for signs of insects or disease, such as brown spots, holes or curling. Avoid plants that appear wilted, yellow, or have spindly, thin stems.
What are the best tomatoes to grow outdoors?
Our top picks of tomato varieties for growing inside, outside, and in containers. ‘Gardener’s Delight’ The ever-popular RHS AGM variety is reliable and fruitful when grown outdoors in a sheltered spot with rich, well-drained soil. … ‘Suncherry Premium’ F1 Hybrid. ‘Tumbling Tom Red’ ‘Losetto’
What is the biggest tomato variety?
Big Zac ($7.95) Big Zac ($7.95) 80-90 days. (H) (BBB) (HG) The biggest tomato of all! This gigantic and very delicious tomato normally reaches 4 lbs., and can reach 5 to 7 lbs., with luscious meaty fruits growing on a hearty disease-resistant plant. Big Zac is very easy to grow and reliably produces gigantic tomatoes in all climates.