Does Asparagus Cause Gas?

Does Asparagus Cause Gas?

Many people feel that asparagus makes them more bloated and causes them to have more flatulence.

While most people can digest asparagus without any problems, there are a few things that could cause digestive issues.

Read on to decide if asparagus is giving your gas.

Asparagus has a high fiber content

Asparagus, like most vegetables, is low in calories and high in fiber.

It is easy to ingest a lot of asparagus. Let’s have a look at the nutritional profile of cooked asparagus. Energy (kcal)
22, Protein (g) 2.4, Total Lipid (g) 0.22, Carbohydrate (g) 4.11, Fiber (g) 2, Sugars (g) 1.3.

Fiber regulates bowel movements. However, it can also cause gas.

Gas forms when carbohydrates are fermented by bacteria in your small intestine. If some fiber isn’t broken down in the small intestine, it further gets fermented in the colon forming more gas.

Although this isn’t necessarily a problem, too much gas can cause discomfort and even stomach pain with bloating.

Asparagus contains hard to digest sugars

Other than fiber, some sugars are not digested well in the small intestine. They are then transported to the large intestine, where they ferment. This produces gas that must be expelled.

These are the main sugars in asparagus.

  • Fructooligosaccharides (FOS)
  • Fructose

This nutritional table is slightly different than the one above. It refers to 100g of raw asparagus. As different batches of asparagus may have different nutritional values, it might be slightly different. Moisture 84 g, Fructose
3.16g, Glucose 2.75 g, Total FOS 0.43g.

Although Asparagus does not contain any of the most harmful gas compounds, such as raffinose or FOS, it still contains a lot of fructose.

Most fruits and vegetables contain fructose. While some fructose is fine, some research shows that excessive flatulence can be caused by consuming a large amount.

Asparagus Contains Fructans

Fructans, a special form of fructose are what we have looked at previously.

fructans can cause stomach problems, particularly for IBS sufferers.

Some people have difficulty digesting fructans. Others do not. Those who have difficulty see:

  • Bloating
  • Gas
  • Constipation
  • Diarrhea

Individuals are the best judge of their symptoms.

Asparagus contains sulfur-based compounds

After eating asparagus, 40% of people smell strong sulfur odors in their urine. The remaining 60% are unable to detect these sulfur-containing compounds.

Sulfur-containing compounds may also find their way into your colon making any gas much more obvious.

Asparagus may not be causing more gas than it smells, but it’s possible.

Stomach issues can be caused by an Asparagus Allergy

Asparagus allergies can be rare but it is still possible and well worth mentioning.

Asparagus contains multiple proteins that can trigger an Immunoglobulin E (IgE), allergic reaction.

Side effects usually involve skin itching and congestion. However, flatulence can also be a side effect.

Is it possible to reduce gas consumption from asparagus?

There is no magic way to reduce the gas formation when having asparagus or other vegetables.

Cooking will make it easier to digest vegetables such as asparagus. It can also reduce the number of carbohydrates in them (depending on how they are cooked).

Although you won’t be eating asparagus raw, it might help to ensure it is fully cooked.

Limit your intake of asparagus. You will have fewer fructans and FOS, which means you’ll produce less gas.

Leave a Comment