Best Essential Oils for Skin
If you are someone who hasn’t used essential oils topically, you are missing out on all the beautifying and calming effects they offer. Various essential oils provide various benefits such as soothing, cleansing, purifying, and softening properties to the skin. But how will you know which Essential Oils for Skin are right for you? Of course, it will depend on your skin type and your preferences; here are the best essential oils for skin that cleanse, renew and do much more. Check out how to use essential oils.
1. Frankincense Essential Oil – Soothes The Skin
It is known as the King of the oils and it holds tremendous soothing properties for the skin. Not only have we been using it for the skin in recent times but the ancient Egyptians also used the resin in plenty of ways from perfumes to slaves to soothe the skin. The centuries-old knowledge is what contributes to the modern use of Frankincense. It has the remarkable ability to rejuvenate your skin along with plenty of other beautifying properties including reducing dark spots and acne marks when applied topically.
How to use this Frankincense Essential Oil for Skin
- Apply a few drops topically on your skin to help reduce the appearance of skin imperfections such as blemishes, pimples, large pores, etc.
- Apply only a few drops on your palms and rub them into your hands after a long day of work or outdoor activities such as gardening to keep them healthy.
2. Yarrow/ Pom
Pom essential oil is a one of its kind blend of yarrow essential oil and some cold-pressed pomegranate seed oil. It offers powerful benefits due to its active botanical agents. Also, revitalizes aging skin if applied topically and when taken internally can help to activate skin-protecting proteins that inhibit the breakdown of elasticity and promotes the production of collagen.
It has fantastic skin-soothing and emollient properties that make it an excellent addition to massage oils, facial cleansers, and to any other skincare routines and DIY face masks and serums.
How to use this Pom Essential Oil for Skin
- Add a few drops of the essential oil with your favourite cleanser to promote clear and bright skin.
- You can apply two drops to your face, chest, neck and your hands each morning and night to smell great and get all the benefits on your body.
3. Aromatic Lavender Essential Oil
People love lavender essential oil for its calming aroma but it has a lot more wonderful benefits than smelling great. If you use it topically you will enjoy many benefits. You can also use it on your scalp to get clean looking and healthy scalp. It also helps to reduce minor skin irritations when applied topically.
Along with these, the aroma of lavender can help you to get a good night’s sleep. Hence, you can use it at bedtime to create an environment of relaxation.
How to use this Lavender Essential Oil for Skin
- Keep a bottle of Lavender essential oil and use it for occasional skin irritations and unpleasant bumps on your face.
- Add only a few drops to a warm bath for an amazing relaxing time and skin-soothing.
4. Tea Tree Essential Oil – Cleanses And Purifies Skin
Everyone knows the purifying and cleansing properties tea tree oil has. With over ninety different natural compounds in it, it has limitless application methods. People love it mostly for its ability to clear our acne, reduce skin irritations and soothe skin. It is among the active ingredients in many facial cleansers, soaps, body washes, etc. and it is often considered a powerhouse for your skin.
How to use this Tea tree Essential Oil for Skin
- You can use it for occasional skin irritations and apply one or two drops on the affected areas directly or with a carrier.
- Apply it on your scalp along with carrier oil such as coconut oil to help reduce inflammation and dandruff on your scalp.
- Combine only one or two drops with your facial cleanser for added cleansing benefits.
- Apply it on your face after shaving.
5. Helichrysum Essential Oil – Renews Skin
The honey-sweet helichrysum essential oil is famous for its skin-renewing properties. It is amazing to restore an even complexion and can be often found in antiaging products. Along with a healthy glow, it also reduces the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and blemishes.
Its basic constituent is neryl acetate which has proven to be effective against skin irritations. Neryl acetate is an ingredient that supports healthy skin and reduces the formation of blemishes and wrinkles. Helichrysum essential oil has plenty of acetophenones and other substances that promote a healthy and uniform complexion if applied topically.
How to use this Helichrysum Essential Oil for Skin
- Apply a few drops daily to reduce wrinkles and promote a youthful and glowing complexion.
- Mix a few drops with some lavender essential oil and coconut oil to get relief from razor bumps.
6. Bergamot Essential Oil – Rejuvenates Skin
People of southern Italy have been using Bergamot essential oil for hundreds of years to rejuvenate the complexion. The aroma of this essential oil is so uplifting that it helps you relax after a long day. Since it has fantastic cleansing properties, people commonly use it in their skincare regularly. If you use it topically, you must be careful to apply it at night such that you are not exposed to UV rays for up to twelve hours after application.
How to use this Bergamot Essential Oil for Skin
- Add only a few drops to fractionated coconut oil and use it as a facial cleanser.
- While you are showering, apply a few drops and rub them into the skin and inhale deeply to experience the calming scent and the cleansing properties.
The tropical aroma of jasmine flowers reminds us of euphoria, joy, and romance. It has several prominent skin benefits such as promoting a healthy glow, reducing skin imperfection and it can also nourish the scalp.
How to use this Jasmine Essential Oil for Skin
- Apply directly to the skin imperfection twice daily or add it to your skincare.
- Combine it with your homemade masks to promote a healthy complexion and glowing skin.
Due to the miraculous chemical constituent of sandalwood, santalol, it has amazing beautifying properties. It can minimise imperfections such as marks and pimples and it also great for obtaining a smooth and healthy complexion.
How to use this Sandalwood Essential Oil for Skin
- Add a few drops to your moisturizer or night cream to get flawless, glowing skin.
- Nourish and rejuvenate your skin by adding a few drops to a large bowl of steaming water and then add two drops on face and cover your head with a towel and steam your face to obtain glass-like clean skin.
FAQs About Essential Oils For Skin
What essential oils are safe for skin?
If you have sensitive skin, you’ll want to steer clear of oils that are highly acidic, such as lemon and lemongrass. The following oils are considered safe for all skin types:
How do you mix essential oils for skin?
When diluting essential oils with a carrier oil, it’s important to follow these dilution guidelines. For adults: 2.5 per cent dilution: 15 drops essential oil per 6 teaspoons carrier oil. 3 per cent dilution: 20 drops of essential oil per 6 teaspoons carrier oil.
What essential oils are good for sun damaged skin?
Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Peppermint, Lavender, Tea tree essential oils are good for healing sun damaged skin.
What essential oils are good for toning skin?
Lavender, Frankincense, Cypress and tea tree oils work the best as toners.