Little Millet Breakfast Recipes:
What better breakfast than a bowl of variety millet rice or millet upma with curd for breakfast along with fruits, salads, steamed corn, and sundal? There are numerous health benefits of millets. Before we get into some advanced little millet recipes such as Murukulu, etc, check the following 2 simple little millet recipes.
Little millet, also known as Small millet, is a species of millet commonly cultivated in southern parts of India. (Common names of little millet in different languages are: in Bengali: Sama, Gujarati: Gajro, Hindi is called Kuri: Kannada is same, in Marathi it is Save, in Oriya it is called as Suan, in Punjabi it is swank, in Tamil it is called Samai and in Telugu it is Samalu)
Little Millet Recipes:
Simple Little Millet Pulao
Pulao or Polao is a rice dish, whose recipe involves cooking rice in stock, adding spices and other ingredients. Usually a pulao is made with regular white rice or basmati rice. In this simple little millet pulao recipe, we will learn to make it healthier than that is made with regular rice.
- Little millet Rice – 1 1/2 cup
- onions -2 tbsp
- Cold-Pressed groundnut oil
- coriander leaves
- ginger – 1” piece
- cumin – 1/4 spoon salt
- To make the simple little millet pulao, take a pan and heat oil.
- To the hot oil add cumin, ginger and onion and cook till brown.
- Now add Little millet and fry for two minutes. Mix in hot water and salt.
- Cover with a lid and cook on a low flame till the Little millet rice is done.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with raita.
- Simple Little Millet Pulao is ready to serve.
Little Millet Upma | Samai Upma
Upma is a breakfast dish which is usually made with sooji or wheat rava. In this Little Millet Upma or Samai Upma recipe, we are making it by substituting wheat with Little Millet rice for making it a healthier breakfast option. Let us now get into the recipe.
- Little Millet rice – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Carrot – 1
- Beans – 1/2 cup
- Green Peas – 1/2 cup
- Green Chilli – 1
- Curry Leaves
- Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
- Coriander Leaves
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1 tsp
- Cold-Pressed Sesame Oil
- To make little millet upma or Samai millet upma, wash and soak little millet rice or Samai for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. To this hot oil add mustard seeds, urad dal, and fry them for about 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped onions and saute well. Now, add carrot, beans, green chilies, green peas, curry leaves, coriander leaves, and ginger.
- Pour in 3 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Add the little millet rice and salt. Reduce flame to low. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 15 minutes.
- Little Millet Upma is ready to serve.