What are the different types of Lululemon fabrics?
Are you confused by the many fabrics offered by Lululemon? How do they feel? Which one is best for you? Let’s get you covered!
- Luon® Our original performance fabric is breathable and cottony-soft.
- Luxtreme® Luxtreme is a high-performance fabric developed to handle serious sweat.
Luon fabric is versatile and can be used for many purposes, even just to lounge around. Luon bottoms can feel hotter and are not recommended for runners. Luon isn’t recommended for high-intensity activities such as running or spinning, because it is more likely that it will pill.
LUON MVP: Wunder under tights of all lengths or define jacket
- Luon is the original and most popular yoga fabric from lulu. Feels soft and silky, but not like cotton! Warmer against your skin and gently holds you in.
- Best used for yoga and barre, aerial arts studio workouts, leisure, and to/from layers.
- All luon has a 4-way stretch and is moisture-wicking.
- Full-on Luon is one variation of luon. This weave provides extra support and coverage.
- Light luon, also known as luon light, is just what it sounds like. It is slightly thinner than the original and is perfect for tank tops that don’t require sheerness.
- Remember that luon products with patterns or prints feel slicker, more supple, and less soft than luxtreme. Prints are often backed with white paper, which can make them appear slightly faded when stretched.
- Lululemon offers winter textured patterns like herringbone, piqué, and variegated knit. These patterns are knit directly into the fabric, which is not common for most prints. They are thicker than normal luon and more cozy and warm than regular luon.
- Luon is much more appealing than lint or pet hair. Pet owners should expect to use the Lint Brush liberally.
Feels likeslick and smooth against the skin. Ideal for running/spin class, strength training/CrossFit, and any other high-intensity activity. Luxtreme fabric is another versatile fabric that can also be used for many other sweaty pursuits.
Luxtreme MVPs: Energy bra, ‘free to be wild’ bra, Scalloped wunder under crops, Pace rival crops.
- Luxtreme is lulu’s favorite fabric for running. It feels lighter than luon, and has a different feel to cotton. It is smooth-faced and slick. It is cool on the skin and great for high sweat.
- Luxtreme is extremely resistant to friction and won’t pill. Luxtreme is more breathable than Luon, according to me.
- Full-on Luxtreme is a variant of luxtreme. It’s a tighter weave that has more coverage and compressive power. This fabric is slightly thicker and more durable than regular luxtreme. This is especially good for tights.
- Luxtreme is great for pet owners. It is resistant to lint accumulation and can be used to brush pet hairs off.
Feels flexible, wears almost nothing, is breathable and ultra-soft. Ideal for Hot Weather, Yoga, Studio Classes, Low-Intensity Strength Training, Leisure. This fabric is designed to feel like a second skin, it is ultra-lightweight, breathable, and super soft. Although it has a softer, more luxurious feel than Luxtreme, it is not as cottony as luon. It has a soft, slightly spongy feel.
Nulu MVPs: align crop and trousers
- Nulu is great for hot climates or hot workouts because it’s light.
- It does not provide any compression or smoothing. You can choose a different fabric if you prefer a firm fit that keeps you in.
- For a tighter fit, some people prefer to wear nulu a size smaller than others. However, it is not going to be compressive.
- Also, nulu is prone to piling, so don’t use it for high-intensity or high-friction exercises. Nulu is very lightweight so make sure you do a squat to ensure that your leggings provide the coverage you desire.
Feels Soft and stretchy, silky to the touch, light compressive, ultra-breathable. Best for Strength training, warm-weather running, spin class.
Nulux is the fabric to choose if you want the nulu to feel but with the option of high-intensity training. Nulux feels closer to luxtreme, than nulu. While nulux and luxtreme are very similar in feel and use, nulux is lighter and silkier. Nulux, like nulu is lightweight so it can have lower coverage. Before you insert the tags, do a squat test to ensure you don’t see any things you don’t want.
Nulux MVP: Fast and Free Tights
- Nuluxtreme is a heavier fabric than nulux, so it’s slightly cooler to use for hot workouts. Nulux crop and leggings can be a great alternative to shorts.
- Nulux is slightly more luxurious than nulu but it’s not as tough as luxtreme. Nulux, as the name implies, is the love child of nulu & luxtreme. It is resistant to pilling, making it ideal for running and other high-friction exercises.
- Note that nulux, like Luxtreme is resistant to pet hairs and lint.
Feels like smooth, soft, medium-weight, compressive. Best for spinning, strength training, yoga, and running.
Everlux MVPs: Invigorate Tights and Wunder Train Tights
- Everlux is a combination of nulu and luxetreme, bringing out the best of both. They are luxurious and soft to the touch.
- Although they feel slightly warmer than the ultralightweight nulu, they are still designed to quickly dry in hot, sweaty environments like Luxtreme.
- Everlux may be the most versatile lulu fabric. It is comfortable enough to wear casually and for low-impact workouts. But it’s durable enough and sweat-wicking enough to withstand the high intensity and high impact.
- Everlux is the best choice for generalists who want tights that can take on any challenge.
Feels light, and smooth, just like your classic running shorts, and even better. Ideal for Running, Strength Training/CrossFit, and HIIT.
Swift fabric can be used to make shorts, skirts, and pants as well as jackets. This fabric is a performance fabric that’s loosely fitted and should not be worn in tights or leggings. It is super stretchy but holds its shape better than a pair of leggings.
Swift MVPs: Speed up shorts, Hotty Shorts
- Swift fabric is stronger than any of the other fabrics, but it can still snag. It doesn’t break down for a very long time with all the running, CrossFit and what not. Simply use a needle and push the snag through the interior.
- Lululemon’s 2-way quick fabric is the strongest, however, they currently don’t make items in 2-way. They only offer a 4-way stretch.
- Although 2-way may sound inferior, this fabric is actually super-flattering, durable, and extremely long-lasting. My beloved 2-way is a great option if you are looking for second-hand lululemon products.
This durable fabric is the perfect partner for your sweaty commute. Warpstreme is sweat-wicking with four-way stretch for a range of motion. Best for office, travel, commute.
Vitasea fabric is made with Seacell yarn and blended with cotton and Lycra® that retains its shape and stays soft after you wear and wash it. It is soft and lightweight. This fabric is primarily used in t-shirts and other light layers. Best for office, travel, commute.
Other noteworthy fabrics
Lululemon uses a variety of cotton weights (or cotton fleece), in its to-and-from pieces and casual pieces like the scuba jacket.
Lightweight cotton will be used in some yoga/casual crossover tops. Pima Cotton is soft, super-luxurious cotton that’s used in many casual tops.
Rulu, which is shorthand for “running luon”, is one of the most luxurious lulu fabrics out there. It is intended for winter running and is therefore thick, warm, soft, and extremely durable. Because they are too hot to wear in summer, these items only appear in fall and winter. Rulu is also a great fabric for casual wear. For a soft and cozy feeling, look for vinyasa scarfs made from rulu.
Silverescent technology can be used for seamless, high-streat items like swiftly tops. The fabric is protected from bacteria growth by using silver fibers.
Caring for your lululemon Activewear
- Activewear should always be washed in cold water, dried on a hanger, and dried.
- Fabric softener should not be used as it can reduce the fabric’s ability to wick away sweat and make it less breathable.
- You should not dry your lulu in the dryer. Instead, allow it to air dry on a drying rack or your shower curtain rod.
- Although lulu won’t shrink in the dryer it will become brittle and less flexible over time due to heat.
- Wash all of your workout clothes together.
- Cotton and natural fabrics should be washed separately, including towels. Workout fabrics made with cotton can pill if they are washed in the same load.
- Care for down puffer jackets or outerwear is more difficult.
Is Luxtreme or Luon better?
Luxtreme® has a much lighter feel than Luon® and does not feel anything like cotton. Instead, it’s smooth-faced and slick to the touch. It feels cool against the skin and is great for high-sweat workouts. Luxtreme® is highly resistant to friction and will not pill.
What is the buttery soft Lululemon fabric?
Enter Nulu™ fabric! It’s got all the qualities we love: sweat-wicking, four-way stretch and great coverage with the ultimate added bonus of feeling lightweight, non-restrictive and crazy-buttery soft.
How do I know my Lululemon style?
Feel along seams and check the inside of the garment for interior pockets. Style number (LX####X) will provide all the key information you need for the item.
Which Lululemon fabric has most compression?
Best Compression: Lululemon Wunder Train High-Rise Tight And they’re made from lightweight Everlux fabric—a blend of nylon and Lycra elastane—which quickly wicks away sweat, leaving you cool and comfortable.
Are Wunder Under or Align better?
If you are a yoga fanatic, either of these leggings will work wonders with your workouts. But, Wunder Under is definitely thicker for more intense workouts while Align is more lightweight and breathable.
Which lululemon leggings are the thickest?
That’s about the time we reach for the classic Lululemon Swift Speed High-Rise Tight ($98-128). They’re made of Luxtreme, a proprietary lululemon fabric, that will keep you held in while the sweat stays at bay and are lululemon’s thickest fabric.
Which Lulu leggings are the softest?
The Lululemon Align crop is designed to stretch every way you bend, and made with the proprietary Nulu™ fabric, arguably the softest material.
Is full on Luxtreme better than Luxtreme?
Full-on luxtreme is a variation of luxtreme: it’s a tighter weave with more compressive and coverage. This means the fabric has a slightly thicker, sturdier feel than regular luxtreme. Personally, I really like full-on luxtreme. It’s especially great for tights.
What is Lululemon Everlux fabric?
Cotton. Luon™Feels cottony soft. Pima Cotton. Ripstop.
What is the difference between Everlux and Nulux?
Everlux is not as compressive as Luxtreme, but more compressive than Nulux.
Are Lulu lemons worth it?
If you can afford to spend the money on a few key pieces from Lululemon, like one pair of running shorts, one or two sports bras, and the Reversible 5mm The Mat, it’s worth the money. If you’re on that budget it’s best to only buy one of those necessary items at a time as you need them.
Why do people keep Lululemon tags?
There’s also a big resale market for used Lululemon clothing, and giving someone the original tag can help with the sale. And websites like Lulu Fanatics, a massive database of current, out of production and “vintage” clothing, can be used to cross-reference with tag information.
Do you cut off Lululemon tag?
The tags are sown in so that you can just rip them out! So don’t risk cutting them!!!
What does the size dot mean on Lululemon?
Lululemon size dots are cleverly placed inside the clothing to identify its size once the hangtag tears off.