Home Remedies For Pigmentation:
Our skin is one of the most precious possessions, and being comfortable in our skin plays a huge role in building our confidence. Maintaining our skin tone can sometimes be extremely hard. It takes a toll on our physical appearance and self-confidence. Many women use color correctors and concealers such as, bb creams and foundation, which are only a temporary fix. Of course, there are also some ayurvedic products that are not harsh and also work. But we should also use some home remedies for pigmentation to protect it from further damage.
What Is Pigmentation?
Pigmentation is also known as hyperpigmentation, a skin condition that darkens the skin in patches. These patches can be either small or big. But, the overall effect of skin pigmentation is making the skin look dull, uneven, and unhealthy.
Our skin generally gets its color from a pigment, which produces cells known as melanocytes. Melanocytes are responsible for producing melanin, which gives our skin its unique skin tone. When these melanocytes are damaged, or become unhealthy, they tend to have a chain reaction of going into overdrive and producing excessive melanin in certain areas. This causes the pigmented areas to darken and become more prominent over a period if they are neglected.
Skin Pigmentation Causes:
There are a number of reasons for our skin to undergo hyperpigmentation such as:
- Sun exposure
- Skin damage over the years
- Hormonal changes
- Allergic reactions
Home Remedies For Pigmentation:
There are many home remedies that can help you deal with skin pigmentation altogether, and here are a few ways to do that.
1. Lime or Lemon:
Considered to be an excellent source of Vitamin C, and is a great bleaching agent. It helps fade away pigmentation, reduces dark spots and lightens the overall skin tone.
- Cut a lemon or lime and drain its juice in a bowl.
- Add honey to the juice and mix it well. Apply this mixture on the pigmented areas of the skin.
- Wait for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash your face with lukewarm water.
- Try this method twice a day and see the improvement yourself.
2. Raw Potato:
This is great for getting rid of dark circles, pigmented areas, blemishes, and spots. Raw potatoes contain an enzyme called catecholase, which reduces the excessive melanin production in the skin.
- Wash the potato and cut it in half.
- Add a few drops of water onto one cut side of the raw potato.
- Rub the potato gently in circular motions on the affected areas of the skin.
- After ten minutes, rinse the areas with lukewarm water.
- Try this 3-4 times a day to get the best results.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar:
It contains astringent properties that restore the skin’s natural color. Vinegar contains beta-carotene, which helps treat any skin damage, due to pollution, and other radicals. Apple cider vinegar can also make your skin soft, supple, and radiant.
- Pour apple cider vinegar into a bowl and dilute it with water.
- Apply this solution to the pigmented areas of the skin.
- Rinse your face with warm water after 5 minutes.
- Try this method two times a day to see the change in your skin.
4. Lemon Juice & Turmeric:
These ingredients are used in almost every Indian household. Our ancestors have been using turmeric to give their skin a radiant glow, and clear their blemishes.
- Combine lemon juice and turmeric in a bowl, until you get a consistent mixture.
- Wash your face and apply this evenly to your affected areas.
- Wash your face after 15 minutes with lukewarm water.
- Try this once a day, before going to bed to get the best results
Homemade recipes are the alternative to harsh skincare products and expensive doctor bills. They are completely natural and don’t cost you a thing. The best part is that you can use these skin hacks anytime you feel your skin might appear pigmented. But, if your skin doesn’t heal, or get better after using these hacks. Consult a skin specialist to avoid making the situation worse.
Daily At-Home Skin Routine To Protect Pigmentation:
Additionally, if you want to effectively treat dark spots or an uneven skin tone. These three steps should be in your daily at-home skin routine:
- Exfoliate dead skin cells prior to applying a brightening treatment to help the active ingredients penetrate the skin more effectively.
- Treat individual spots using a dark spot corrector formulated to zero in on excess melanin, or an overall skin brightener for an even and luminous skin tone.
- Protect current hyperpigmentation and future discoloration, by applying a broad spectrum sunscreen.
So, try these natural remedies and skin routine, and love the skin you’re in!