5 Ideas To Make A Mini Garden In Small Spaces
Gardening is considered to be one of the most therapeutic activities to date. Since everyone can’t accommodate spacious gardens in their homes. There are multiple ways to utilize small spaces to create a mini garden, even on your balcony. By reusing some of the materials found in your home, you can create many mini gardens in any corner of your home. Mini gardens are also an interactive and fun activity for your kids to indulge in and learn the importance of gardening for everyday life. Here are a few mini garden ideas to get you started on making your mini garden:
1. Select A Place For Your Mini Garden
The first thing to do before building your mini garden is to choose the perfect location in your home or even your workplace. This space should receive sufficient sunlight and ventilation for your plants to thrive. One of the ideal places to grow a mini garden can be in your room, workplace, living room, on a spacious window sill, in your balcony, or the kitchen. So, the options are endless when you decide on creating a mini garden in your home.
2. Select A Theme For Your Mini Garden
Deciding on a theme in advance sets the tone for your garden and makes the entire design process smooth. This helps you eliminate what you don’t require so you can create your mini garden easily.
Here are a few mini garden themes to get you inspired:
This whimsical theme can be made using small succulents, painted stones, gnomes, a stone pathway, small toys, and figurines, and all go very well with this particular theme.
Reusing old garden pots, chairs, utensils, containers, plastic bottles, old furniture, a drawer, or a treasure chest will give your mini garden a unique look.
In this theme, you can collect various stones found outside paint them to personalize the stones, reusing small decorative marble, pebbles, and seashells found on the beach.
3. Reuse Old Materials
Small earthen gardening pots, stones, old utensils, and tiny decorative items can all be used to decorate your mini garden. Reusing items eliminates unnecessary expenditure on gardening materials.
Few items which can be reused are:
- Old picture frames
- Old drawers
- Glass containers
- Popsicle sticks
4. Choose Plants For Your Mini Garden
While selecting plants for your mini garden, remember to keep in mind to choose small plants that require little to no maintenance.
Here are a few plants which are easy to maintain and give your mini garden a vibrant look:
- Small succulents: They appear unique and are found easily in any nursery
- Petunia: These sun-loving flowering plants add a vibrant element to your mini garden. Petunias are super easy to maintain and require general care to grow.
- Portulaca: These flowers grow in hot or dry regions, also require direct sunlight to grow. These tiny flowers are easy to maintain and add color to your mini garden.
- Geranium: These flowering plants cans be easily hung on your balcony and look lovely when they are thriving in sunlight.
- Verbena: These flowering plants require 10 hours of sunlight to grow. They can also take on harsh and dry conditions.
Miniature items which can double as decorative items also add the perfect touch to your mini garden. Try using painted eggs, stones, and decorative items. These items can be easily found in your home and go hand in hand with your mini garden theme.
5. Purchasing Planting Soil
Soil is one of the most important materials required for creating your mini garden, as every plant requires planting soil to foster. Planting soil is easily available in any local nursery, and you can also try picking up stones from outside and painting them to use as decorative pieces which can be placed in your mini gardens.
How To Build And Care For Your Mini Garden
After selecting your requirements based on your particular mini garden theme, you can now start the much-awaited process of building your mini garden.
Here are a few ways to build and care for your mini garden:
1. First, wash and dry the pot you are using for your miniature garden. Fill the rim of the pot with mud, making it slightly higher on one side if you would like your plants to be visible from the side.
2. With the help of a knife or a shovel, make small holes in the pot so the roots of your plants don’t get tangled in the pot. Then plant the plants selected by you in the container
3. If you are using glass containers in your theme, add the containers before putting soil in the glass container. By doing this, you allow proper nutrients to spread out evenly to all the plants, and it also assists in draining out excess water in the container.
4. Water your plants with sufficient water so that they can thrive. You can either use an empty small spray bottle or create a small plastic bottle and make holes on the cap to water your mini garden with adequate water.
We hope this sparks your inspiration and helps you make your mini garden come to a reality. Building a mini garden can also be a fun and interactive activity, which you can do over the weekend with your friends, family, and even kids. You can also make this a stress-busting activity you can do after work every day. Making this fun mini-garden in your home also cultivates a good practice among your family and friends.
So, why don’t you try your hand on these mini garden ideas and make your very mini garden in your home?
How can I design my small garden?
Create your very own secret garden with hidden areas and cosy hideaways. Divide your garden into sections, using bamboo screens, trellis or walls of foliage and decorate each area with different plants and garden furniture. These are perfect for hiding small seating areas and comfy garden getaways.
How do you make a small garden beautiful?
How to make a small garden look bigger – beautiful ways to maximize space
- Have a realistic plan for a small garden.
- Create zones to make a small garden look bigger.
- Make use of vertical space.
- Opt for bigger plants even in a small garden.
- Add in different levels.
- Allude to more space with a pathway.
What is the best free garden design app?
Best Free Landscape Design Software SketchUp Free. Our pick for the best free landscape design software is
- SketchUp Free, the lite version of SketchUp solution perfect for personal use.
- Garden Planner.
- Marshalls Garden Visualiser.
- PRO Landscape Home.
How do I turn my garden into a budget?
Budget garden ideas to make your garden look nice:
- Fill with flowers.
- Plant some produce.
- Perk it up with pots.
- Look after your lawn.
- Get rid of weeds.
- Reupholster, repaint, rejuvenate.
- Clean your patio.
- Add a water feature.
What do you put in the corner of a garden?
The top 10 options to transform a forgotten garden corner A garden shed. A pergola or gazebo. A seating area or table and chairs. A fireplace. A sculpture. A flower border. A tree. A greenhouse.
How can I make my garden look nice?
Quick ‘n easy ways to make your garden look great
- Lay artificial grass – Small, low maintenance garden.
- Add some storage.
- Keep things neat with pots.
- Edge the lawn. Save
- Upcycle some pieces.
- Treat yourself to new furniture.
- Screen off unsightly areas.
- Set up automatic sprinklers.
How do you create depth in a small garden?
Positioning larger, taller plants in the background and reserving smaller plants for the foreground of your garden will enhance its depth. In small gardens, dwarf or miniature plant varieties immediately create greater depth and make the space seem more generous.